My registration is blocked. Why?
Answer: Your registration may be blocked if you fail to meet an obligation to the College. This includes, but is not limited to, failure to pay registration/tuition fees or other outstanding debts, as well as failure to submit requested documentation to certain offices (i.e. Health Services). If you have a financial block you need to contact the business office to get this hold resolved. The number is 563-588-7335. No transcript requests will be processed until the hold is cleared.

Where can I check if a class still has open seats?
You will need to view the online complete schedule of classes, for the term in question. It will allow you see the course seat capacity, as well as the number of available seats. The schedule also includes a column to indicate whether a waitlist is active. The schedule can be found on the IQ main-page, under the designated term information.

I'm a U.S. Armed Services Veteran or Service Member. Where do I go to apply for benefits?
Your VA School Certifying Official is your point of contact for any questions you might have about applying your educational benefits to the cost of attendance at Loras College. Please see the following for a list of what veterans generally need to provide:
  1. Veteran’s certification worksheet
  2. Copy of veteran's discharge paperwork (DD-214)
  3. Official (sealed or secure digital) copy of veteran's American Council on Education (ACE) certified transcript for any military training: https://jst.doded.mil/official.html (for Air Force, use this link: https://augateway.maxwell.af.mil/ccaf/stu_svcs/transcriptrequest/login.asp).
  4. Current Certificate of Eligibility (COE), received after a veteran applies for benefits on the GI Bill website: http://www.gibill.va.gov/apply-for-benefits/application/
For transfer students, we would require all the above, in addition to the following:
Official transcript(s) from any former institution of higher learning, or record of exam credits from Advanced Placement courswork, CLEP exams, DANTES exams, etc. Copy of the veteran's VA 22-1995 Request For Change of Program or Place of Training (same application website above)

PLEASE NOTE: If you are the recipient of transferred benefits from a spouse or parent, the transferer needs to transfer the benefits on the GI Bill website (http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/transfer_of_benefits.html) before you can apply for the transferred benefit.

How do I get my final grades?
Students should log into their IQ to view their grades, via the Academic Profile Menu. Under the Academic Profile Menu students will be able to view current grades as well as have access to an unofficial transcript. Students who need a written confirmation of their grades can copy and paste their unofficial transcript from their web-advisor. For instructions on how to order an official transcript please call (563)588-7106.

How do I show proof of graduation before degrees are officially approved and posted to the transcript?
You can request a Verification of Completion Letter from the Registrar's Office. You can either request this in-person by showing a valid photo id, or request this via mail by providing us with a written request. This written request must include your name, birthdate, id number or last four of your SSN, mailing address and your signature. We cannot accept this request over the phone.
You may also fax us the written request to (563)588-4962, or email it to registrar@loras.edu. The mailing address for the Registrar's Office at Loras College is, 1450 Alta Vista St. Mailbox#1, Dubuque, IA 52004-0178. There is no cost for this letter of verification.

I just graduated. When and how will I get my diploma?
There is a 2-3 month waiting period after completion. This enables the Office of the Registrar to post grades and verify majors/minors as dictated by the college. Diplomas are automatically mailed to the mailing address supplied to the college on your application. You must remember, just because you have participated in commencement, does not mean you have officially graduated.

I need to get official verification of my student status. Where do I go?
In general, students who need verification of their enrollment have a specific need for an official signature and/or school seal. That can be obtained by going to the Registrar's Office in-person, or by written request. This written request must include your name, birthdate, id number or last four of your SSN, mailing address and your signature. We cannot accept this request over the phone.
You may also fax us the written request to (563)588-4962, or email it to registrar@loras.edu. The mailing address for the Registrar's Office at Loras College is, 1450 Alta Vista St. Mailbox#1, Dubuque, IA 52004-0178. This is provided to current and former students at no cost.

What is the Office of the Registrar's policy on release and disclosure of student records?
Under the Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 and provisions of state law relating to public records disclosure, the Loras College Policies Applying to the Disclosure of Information from Student Records and the Loras Campus' implementation of that policy assure Loras students the following rights:
  1. To inspect and review their student records.
  2. To have withheld from public disclosure, absent their prior consent, personally identifiable information from their student records.
  3. To inspect records maintained by Campus offices concerning disclosure of confidential information from their student records.
  4. To seek corrections of their records through a request to amend the records, or a request for a hearing to challenge the content of their records, or to include a written statement therein.
  5. To file complaints with the Office of the Chancellor or with the U.S. Department of Education regarding violations of the rights accorded by Federal law or University policy.
FERPA permits the disclosure of PII from students’ education records, without consent of the student, if the disclosure meets certain conditions found in §99.31 of the FERPA regulations. Except for disclosures to school officials, disclosures related to some judicial orders or lawfully issued subpoenas, disclosures of directory information, and disclosures to the student, §99.32 of FERPA regulations requires the institution to record the disclosure. Eligible students have a right to inspect and review the record of disclosures. (MORE INFO)

FERPA Contacts:
Student Academic Records—J. Thomas Brown, Registrar, jt.brown@loras.edu

How do I change my anticpated graduation date?
You are able to change your graduation date by simply informing the Registrar's Office of the change. Please email your request to registrar@loras.edu, stating the reason for the change, as well as verification of student information. This request may also be done in person at Keane Hall, Room 135. You may only change your graduation date one semseter. If you have already made
this change and need to push forward you graduation date again, you MUST re-apply.

When must coursework be completed to replace a grade of "incomplete" from the previous semester?
The incomplete work must be completed and submitted to the instructor and a permanent grade recorded by midterm of the next semester of the college calendar. If a grade of Incomplete is given during the January term, the work must be completed by midterm of the subsequent spring semester. If the student misses critical experiences of the January term course due to circumstances beyond his/her control, the student will receive a grade of “W” (withdraw) for the course. If the Incomplete grade is not replaced by a permanent grade by this date, the “I” grade is replaced by the “F” (fail) grade.

If a student is awarded an “F” grade because the instructor did not submit a final grade by midterm, the instructor has until the last official day of the semester to change the grade. After the final day of the semester, the “F” grade becomes a permanent grade and cannot be changed without a formal appeal. An instructor may recommend to the Registrar’s Office an extension of the midterm deadline in cases of special hardship.

If I'm an incoming student how may I receive credit for a college-level course from anther institution?
College-level coursework that is comparable to the Loras College curriculum requirements and in which a minimum grade of “C” was earned is transferable to Loras (see Transfer Credit Policy for more detail). Students who do not meet the minimum transfer requirements may be reviewed by the Admission Standards Committee on an individual basis.

The transfer applicant must submit Official academic transcript(s) from each college/university attended. It should be noted that transfer students who do not submit all official transcripts will be blocked from registering for their second term until such time as official transcripts are received. Transfer applicants will receive an official credit evaluation of previous college coursework at the time of acceptance. They may receive an unofficial credit evaluation upon request. Students should contact their Admissions Representative for more information.

How do I make a change of address?
It is the responsibility of the student to update or correct their address information through the Registrar's Office. Every student must have a permanent address on file.You can make a change of address by visiting the Registrars Office and providing a photo ID. This request can also be made by sending the Registrar an email at registrar@loras.edu, with the updated address, from your
current Loras email account.

May I still participate in commencement even though I won't be finished with my program?
Yes, you may still participate in commencement, even if you are not completed with your program of study. Considering we only have one commencement a year, it is not uncommon for students to participate early, regardless of completion date. When applying for graduation, you will be asked the date of commencement as well as anticipated degree completion date.

When can I register for classes via web-advisor?
Each student is sent a specific registration time/date, via their Loras e-mail. This time is determined by the total number of completed credits at the time the permit is generated. This does not count the current credits in-progress. Make sure to check your spam folder if you cannot locate your permit in your e-mail inbox.

I need to withdraw from school, who do I contact?
This process begins with the Academic Success and Retention Coordinator, Kyle Klapatauskas. He is located in the Academic Resource Center, Room 135. (563)588-7639. E-Mail

A course I need to take is offered at Clarke University or University of Dubuque, how do I register?
These schools are part of the the Tri-college experience offered to Loras students. This means you may take a course at either of these institutions as if you were taking it in residence at Loras College. Financial Aid from Loras may be distributed towards these courses off campus. This course will count towards your current GPA at Loras College. To register for one of these courses, you must logon the institution's website and access their current course schedule for the semester you want to attend. Once you have found the course you want to take, complete the Sharepoint form located on the IQ main page under Academic forms.

After the Sharepoint form has been submitted to the Office of the Registrar, we will work with the partnered university to place you in your requested course. If successful, the course will appear on your Loras schedule. Unsuccessful requests will result in a notification e-mail to the student. If there are scheduling conflicts on your Loras schedule, you will receive an e-mail requesting confirmation of your preferred course.

The online schedule shows there are seats available for registration, but when I attempt to register it still shows a waitlist. Why?
There may indeed be seats available, however those seats are reserved for students atop the current waitlist for the course. You can see on the current schedule if there is a waitlist active for each offered course.

I am on a waitlist for a course I want, how will I know when I can get in or not?
Every Monday and Thursday morning, the Registrar's Office runs the waitlist report that provides access to self-registration for those atop the waitlist for courses that have available seats. Students will be provided this registration permit through their Loras e-mail. Students are encouraged to check their e-mail frequently on these days to ensure their registration for the waitlisted course. If you do not respond to the e-mail, then your registration for this class will expire and the next person atop the waitlist will have the option to register for the course. Remember to check your spam folder as well as your inbox for this registration permit.

How do I drop a course?
Students can drop a course online by filling out the "Drop Form," located on the IQ main-page. This form sends an email to the Registrar's Office notifying that a student wishes to drop a course. Students may also drop a course by visiting the Registrar's Office (Keane Hall, Room 135) and completing the course drop form. Students who wish to drop a course in person must provide a photo ID for verification.

How do I declare a major or minor?
Students can declare a major or minor by accessing the accurate form listed on the IQ Main Page, under Academic Forms. Make sure if you are declaring a second major to state that the second major is in addition to your first major. This option is available within the Declaration of Major Form itself.

How do I know if I need to apply for readmission?
If a student has not taken at least one credit in the past two semesters, then the student must formally reapply to Loras as a Returning Student. Students who have been gone for only one term may contact their previous advisor to register for classes.

If I'm a current student how may I receive credit for a college-level course from other institutions?
Loras College understands that you may find it necessary to explore taking some coursework off-campus during at some point in your time here. If you wish to do so, please remember to submit a request to take a course off-campus on your IQ Main Page. Failure to do so may result in rejection of transfer credit. A completed and approved Course Substitution Form may be required for the course to be counted during your program completion audit, which takes place upon your declaration of your intent to graduate.
© LORAS COLLEGE  800.245.6727
Accredited by The Higher Learning Commission