Frequently Asked Questions about Living in Housing

Q: I know Loras is a residential campus…What is the residency requirement?

Students with less than 80 credits or who are under the age of 21 by the first day of classes of the fall semester who do not live with parents, legal guardians, a spouse or children in the city of Dubuque or nearby are required to live in college-owned housing for at least 3 years. All other students may choose to live off campus

Q: What do I need to bring?

When planning your move to Loras, be sure to remember your pillow and extra long sheets, a phone, hangers, a shower tote, robe and flip flops, towels, toiletries, tissues, laundry soap and quarters, fan, alarm clock, umbrella, school supplies like notebooks, pencils, pens, stapler, a planner, a backpack or book bag, and extension cords.

Some extras you might want to consider bringing are a small refrigeration (5.0 cubic feet or less), a small microwave (1,000 watts or less), dishes, cups, utensils, a TV and cable to hook it up, a VCR or DVD player, a stereo or radio, CDs, and books.

Things you’ll need to be sure to leave at home include duct tape, air conditioners, toasters, grills, pizza ovens, halogen lamps, candles, incense, pets (although you may bring non-dangerous aquarium fish), paint ball, air-soft, and other guns, and alcohol or other drugs.  These items are not permitted in Loras housing.

Q: What is important about living on campus?

Everything! Students who live on campus have higher GPAs, are more likely to graduate in 4 years, and are more connected to their faculty and the community. Also on campus, you meet new people, learn life skills, gain a better understanding of diversity, and learn responsibility in a safe community environment.

Q: I know that I will have an AC and a RA – but I don’t know what that means. Help!

An AC (Area Coordinator) manages the hall with the help of the student staff. The Area Coordinator is responsible for advising, counseling, handling conduct issues, and providing an environment that will help residents grow academically and personally. A RA (Resident Advisor) is a student staff member. There is usually one RA per floor and they are responsible for developing community. They assist the Area Coordinator with programming, encourage involvement, deal with conduct issues, and assist with community standards, and are a great resource for students.

Q: I’m nervous about living with a roommate. How can I be sure my roommate and I get along?

Respect and a willingness to communicate clearly are the keys to compatibility for roommates. It’s important to realize that different people can be compatible roommates if they are willing to keep lines of communication open. To connect with your roommate, spend time together, establish agreements about responsibilities in your space, arrange a study schedule, and discuss guidelines about visitors. Your RA can help with this.

Q: What kinds of things can’t I bring to campus housing?

In your orientation folder you’ll find a list of things you should remember to bring to campus, as well as a list of things to leave at home. If you have questions, please contact Residence Life.

Q: When will I find out where I am living and who I am living with?

We find that often students make connections with potential roommates at Orientation, so we do not assign rooms until early July. Your room assignment and roommate contact information will arrive at your home address via letter.

Q: Can I loft my bed?

You are welcome to loft your bed, but you must loft through the college’s safe loft rental program. Please visit for more information about lofts and other products you may rent or purchase for your room.

Q: Can I bring an air conditioner?

Requests for air conditioners are approved for allergy conditions by the Loras Health Center. Requests forms are available on the Health Center page on If approved, a student may provide his or her own air conditioner for use in his or her room. The unit may not exceed 5000BTUs.

Q: What is a meal plan and how does it work?
All Loras students living in traditional housing (Beckman, Binz, Rohlman, or the Visitation Complex) are placed on a 180 block meal plan. This plan provides 180 Cafe meals to be used over the course of the semester, $200 declining balance dollars that can be used in the cafe, the Pub, the P.O.D. or the Duhawk Market, and 3 guest/visitor passes each semester. You will be sure not to go hungry! Plans reset at the end of the semester, and do not carry from semester to semester. Your meal plan is available through your student ID – simply swipe your ID and you are able to use your meal plan. Other plan options are available for non-traditional housing options. You can see dining services’ operating hours among other things on the campus dining services links under student life.

Q: What do I do if I need to arrive before the designated arrival date?

Students who wish to arrive before their designated arrival date may submit a request by August 1 to obtain permission to arrive early. Because housing, meal services, and other campus resources are not available during this time, there is a charge of $80 per day (comparable to a local hotel) to arrive before the designated arrival date.

Q: Do I need renter’s insurance? Does the college insurance cover my personal property?

The college does not provide personal property protection for students, nor does it require students to carry renter’s insurance. Many students find that their personal property is protected by their parent’s homeowner insurance.

Q: Where can I do my laundry?

All traditional residence halls provide an in-building laundry facility. Each student is given a laundry card upon move-in and can load money via cash or credit onto your card. There are energy efficient washers and dryers. It costs $1 per load. You provide the laundry detergent and other supplies. Off-campus laundry facilities are only one block up and one block down the street.

Q: What size are the beds in the residence halls?

Mattresses in our residence halls are extra-long (36”x80”). Residence Life has partnered with Residence Hall Linens to provide our students with a convenient, affordable way to purchase extra-long sheets and bedding items, as well as other campus-living necessities. Please visit the RHL website

Q: Can you drink on campus? What happens if you violate policy?

No alcohol is permitted in Beckman, Binz, Rohlman, or the Visitation. Alcohol is permitted for those who are of age in Smyth, Byrne Oaks, Lynch-McCarthy apartments, and college-owned houses. Underage students and their guests are expected not to be present when alcohol is present. Remember to also not bring any alcohol or drug paraphernalia such as empty bottles, beer boxes, supplies, ect. for those also violate the college’s alcohol policy. The college explains the consequences for students who violate the alcohol and drug policies in the Student Handbook, available online at, a-z index, student handbook.

Q: What exactly can/can’t you tell my parents about my time at Loras?

As a college student, your right to privacy is protected by FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act). What this means is that the college can share the following information about you as a student…

  • Your name, local, and permanent address, phone number, and email address
  • Date and place of birth, your sex, and weight and height (weight & height only for those participating in sports)
  • Your major, the dates you attended Loras, and any degrees, honors, or awards you received
  • Your academic class year, educations previously attended and any previous degrees, and enrollment status
  • Your thesis title
  • Your participation in officially recognized organizations, activities, and sports
  • Photographs
  • Current credits enrolled
  • Damage charges and costs

All information about you that is a part of your student file (things like grades, student conduct, etc.) is considered part of your educational record, and therefore is protected by FERPA. This information cannot be disclosed to others without your consent unless the situation involves alcohol (and you are under age 21), drugs, or the possibility of harming self or others.

© LORAS COLLEGE  800.245.6727
Accredited by The Higher Learning Commission