Dentistry is a profession that combines science and technology to help people enhance and maintain their oral health. As health-care practitioners, dentists diagnose, treat and help prevent diseases, injuries and malformations of the teeth and mouth. They improve a patient’s appearance, educate patients on how to take better care of their teeth, teach future dentists and perform research to develop new treatment methods.

If you are considering dental school, Loras will provide you with a solid foundation to help you reach your goal.  Of course you must do your part by meeting the rigorous admission standards of the dental schools to which you apply.  There are 57 dental schools in the United States.  The schools are competitive so the right path is important to becoming a dentist. The career outlook for new dentists is good.  They are needed in private practice, as teachers, researchers, and in public health.  A large number of dentists are projected to retire in the next twenty years.  Increasing numbers of older adults are keeping their teeth longer, there is a greater awareness of oral health care, a greater demand for cosmetic services, and technological advances in the industry that make this profession a great one to pursue.
Career Opportunities

Approximately 90% of dentists in the U.S. are general practitioners. The remaining 10% are dental specialists. They are:

  • Dental Public Health
  • Endodontic
  • Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
  • Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology
  • Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
  • Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
  • Pediatric Dentistry
  • Periodontics
  • Prosthodontics
© LORAS COLLEGE  800.245.6727
1450 ALTA VISTA ST., DUBUQUE IA 52001
HOME | NEWS/EVENTS | DIRECTORY | SCHOLARSHIPS/FINANCIAL AID | SUPPORT LORAS | POLICIES | SITE MAP
Accredited by The Higher Learning Commission